Thursday, November 6, 2008

Ahhh Dakota Winters!

In North Dakota winter last from November to April. From the very first snowflake until the last pile of snow melts all I can think of is summer. I live for summer, dream of summer, and love summer!! I actually don't mind winter. It's the blizzard conditions like tonight that I hate! Like when I open my door and the snow has already started to build up inside the screen door. Soon that screen door will be covered with ice. That will last until March. I hate that winter lasts so long. I can tell you that North Dakota is not for wimps! Only the brave, strong and hardy can live here. You have to be humble too. You can't worry about what you look like in your parka or the rest of your winter gear. We all look like dorks and we all have staticy, messy hair. And we all love how our glasses fog up when go indoors. You might think I'm one of the wimps because I complain but I'm not. I do force myself to get out and play in the snow. So, even though I don't like it I am one of the fearless! After 19 years of living here I should be able to handle it right?

Of course this is the first snowfall and it didn't come quietly. It came in the form of a blizzard. This is what it looks like on my front steps. It looks peaceful and beautiful but the wind is blowing and it's very cold. It started this afternoon and it hasn't stop yet or will it anytime soon. School closures you say. Oh no, not in Bismarck! The power would have to go out or water main break or worse before they shut down the schools.

These are our front steps that we can't shovel because what's the point? It's defeating !.
This is the side of the house by Ammon's bedroom. If you look very closely you can see a snowdrift starting to form. Oh joy!
This is the backyard. I was trying to get the snowdrift in front of the garage door, but with all the snow falling you can't see it!
Here's a snowdrift on the deck.And here's our crazy dog Ringo who still loves playing in the snow.He doesn't seem to mind the cold. He's brave, strong and very hardy!
Of course I do mind the snow that he tracks into the house. Worse than that is the wet dog smell that lingers. But he can do whatever he wants because he's old.


I wish I could say that I'm loving the snow but I honestly can't. If there were mountains maybe but all you would find here is hills. That just doesn't do it for me. Maybe if I had time to ski then I wouldn't mind it so much. How I ever ended up here I'll never know! Don't worry I'm okay I do this every year it's like tradition to complain about winter. Alan's been hearing the same story for 19 years. The good news is that it only lasts a day or two....... Then I suck it up, buck up and go on with life!
P.S. The Morning after the Storm. In the light of day you can see what the storm left us. The door did iced over.The snow drift by Ammon's window is clearly visible. You can even see the lovely wind blowing around.











We ended up with 9.1 inches of snow. It is wet,wet snow hard to shovel because it sticks to the shovelThis is my HERO who braves the elements just so we can get in and out of the house!That's not snow falling it's just snow blowing around! The snowdrift on the deck grew over night.











Finally, I have to eat my words because Bismarck Public Schools actually closed school ! That's a first!! Who cares it's a snow day YAHOO!!!!!



7 comments:

LeeAnn said...

Ahhh the ND winters that I do not miss!! I told Duane that if we ever move back there I want a heated garage and auto start on my car. Schools out here would be closed for at least a week!!(shall I not tell you that it is going to be 70 degrees in southern MD today?!?) You ROCK for putting up with all that cold weather for 19 years!!

LeeAnn said...

And then there's Ringo!! Is he like 100 years old not or what!!

The Hiller Family said...

Holy Cow am I glad it hasn't snowed that much here yet! We still don't have our snowblower yet... this inspires me to send my husband back out to purchase one... SOON! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

(Actually It's Ev.,not Andy) Stop it Tia Ana! You are going to end up with Andy at your doorstep with all the talk and pictures about snow. He is the one family member that would gladly follow you to chilly snowy ND. Not that I wouldn't want to be near you of course, I would just rather have you over here in mildly wintery Spokane :) I love ya! And give that stinky snow loving Ringo a few good pats for me and Tessa.

jessica said...

Can I just say.....YUCK,YUCK,YUCK!

But no one can sport snow gear like you Tia. You will have the biggest mansion in heaven...located on some beach front property for all eternity. You have to, that's the only way to serve you justice for your diligent service in the frozen tundra.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ana! I saw your blog off Megan's & thought I'd say hello!!! You captured some great pics of the blizzard! It was so nuts!!!

Heidi and Matt said...

wow, You ARE one tough cookie. I don't know if I could do it year after year. I guess it just helps to know that summer will eventually come! Love all the vacation posts by the way, looks like a BLAST!