Monday, October 6, 2008

My Thoughts On Conference

I remember a time when I thought that conference was at times boring. Of course that was when I was a teenager. I didn't understand the importance of counsel given by Apostles. Now, I don't know how I could live without it. They are truly inspired men of God. They understand the perilous times we live in and what we should be doing to prepare ourselves. We have been warned over and over about staying out of debt and living within our means. For years the brethren have been warning. Now we see the state of the economy and people losing their homes and jobs. People are scared and nervous. The gospel teaches that if we prepare we have no need to fear. Our cars are paid for, we have a roof over our head, jobs, everything we need. I'm grateful for that and the peace that gives us. It's funny that all the financial experts are now advising us to live within our means. For many people, this advice is a little late. Yet people will listen to them but not to a prophet of God. Anyway, all this has strengthened my testimony about listening to the prophet. There is safety in righteous doing! I'm grateful for conference and the opportunity to hear God's word through his servants.

This conference was so inspiring! I felt so uplifted! My testimony that President Thomas S. Monson is a Prophet of God has been strengthen. To learn about his life is inspirational! His relationship with the Savior amazing! To be in tune with the spirit as he is is humbling! I want to be more like him. I hope I can do better. My prayers will be more meaningful, I will laugh more, I will be more grateful, and remember the Savior more.

My two favorite talks were by Elder Lawerence E. Corbridge and Elder Jeffery R. Holland. Such beautiful and powerful words. The talk about angels reminded me of my cousin Lucy. I was thinking it will be one I will be sharing with her. She believes in angels and talks about it all the time. I love the words of Elder Corbridge. "Jesus Christ is the way. Any other way is madness. The Lord's standard is the highest." So simple but so true. It reminds me that everything I should be doing in my life should be held up to that standard. Anyway, all I can say is, wow!

The Lord is great and he is the only true way! There is no doubt in my mind about that!

By the way, I added this song because I actually knew Kenneth Cope. He used to run around serenading all the girls. Our apartment was one he would come to a lot. We loved it! He was so adorable and we all wanted to marry him.

2 comments:

jessica said...

Yeah well I actually hung out with Kenneth Cope and I have a handwritten letter he wrote me...I know you don't believe me but I really do.

Okay so he was married and I was fourteen at the time but I still have it!!! So you can be jealous of me....

I *heart* conference!

Elena said...

Hola Mrs. Ana. I really enjoyed conference too. I couldn't help but notice and be gladdened to see and hear the various speakers of various countries. It thrills me to see how the Gospel is being spread throughout the world. I too am in awe of president Monson, he is such a great example to us & the world. I'm grateful too for their wise counsel & am also at peace knowing that our home is the only debt we owe. Both of our retirement investments took a hit, but not too bad, as Joe wisely moved our stuff just a week before things went south.